Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stormybot

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Tried searching but did not find a similar topic. I want to get some video I took of the fireworks at Disneyland off of my iPhone and onto my Mac. Anyone know how? I did not see any options for the iPhone videos you take in iTunes and the only two options on the iPhone are Email (which compresses the video) and YouTube. I would just like to get it uncompressed onto my Desktop or something. Any ideas?

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
On my PC it just appears as a drive under 'My Computer' and I can pull pics and videos off.

Greenhoe

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
Just use iPhoto.

You can import videos just like you would with any photo. Once the videos are in iPhoto you can then drag them out onto your desktop or anywhere you want them

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I went to the Apple tutorials about the iPhone and although they had info on how to take videos, they had none about how to put that video onto your computer.

Do you have a Mobile Me account? I note on my phone that you can send the video there, and from there you should be able to download it to your Mac.

plaut

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
The phone shoots 640x480 but the video is downsized to 480x360 when emailed. Don't know if the same is true for MobileMe or YouTube uploads, but I suspect so. I have a solution under Linux for mounting the iPhone and accessing the full-sized video (iFuse) but a solution under WinXP would also be helpful (I run XP via VMware and the iPhone doesn't show up as a separate drive). Some people have had success with Picasa 3.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
iPhoto doesn't compress the video.

I don't know of a solution in Vista, but Apple says to use whatever software you use for your photos.

Btw, if you want them back in your phone after you've deleted them, drag them into iTunes and they show up in the movies/videos tab. They won't sync like photos do.

Stormybot

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Thanks all! I did not even think of iPhoto. Silly me. I got the videos off.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Windows user

I am a Windows XP user...I can't seem to figure out how to get my iPhone vids off the phone and onto my PC.

If I try to email my 1:39 video, iPhone cries that it is too large!!! 1 minute 39 seconds?! Sheeeeeeez!!!!

I have iTunes 9.0 and I see no option to get my videos onto my PC. No, I do not have MobileMe.

Any other ideas?

-Eric

EDIT: Found the solution....simply go to Windows Explorer and explore the iPhone...it can take up to 30 seconds for the vids and pictures to show up in the screen. Then simply drag and drop the files onto your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.